Top 10 Beach Sports
You’re tanned, you’ve read all the The Hunger Games’ novels, and you’re looking for a reason to stay on the beach? How about getting a workout while you catch some rays? Here’s a list of the top 10 beach sports (according to us).
10. Beach flags. Like suicide sprints in the sand mixed with musical chairs, this is what surf lifesavers do to test their reflexes. Not for the faint of heart.
9. Beach polo. You live in Beach O’ Pines. You’ve got a horse, right?
8. Beach soccer. You can play it anywhere, and the beach is no exception. If you start to get overheated, you can always jump in the water or nap in the shade.
7. Surfing. Only some beaches are good for riding waves, but it’s a blissful experience if you can find it.
6. Kite flying is active but laid back. If you’ve got a baby brother or sister in tow it’s a low impact way to run around without needing a whole crew.
5. Windsurfing. As much about catching the wind as catching the waves, windsurfing keeps staying popular.
4. Water skiing and wake boarding are the beach cousins of skiing and snowboarding, truly Canadian sports.
3. Sailing. You can go for the snootier and slower paced yachting, or you can go for the full intensity of multi-hull sailing.
2. Kitesurfing. Combining wake boarding, windsurfing, paragliding and gymnastics, it’s a roller coaster on the water.
1. Volleyball. It’s the king of beach sports. There’s a reason every beach worth it’s salt has a volleyball set-up. It’s a blast to play, and it makes a great spectator sport.