Reality And Docu-Soaps Shot In Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen is one of the crown jewels of the Mayan Riviera. With it’s great nightlife and relaxing day life it’s no wonder that Mick, Nancy and Justin spend time there every winter. This year, the production crew followed the Grand Benders cast to ‘Playa’ where they are wrapping up the last of Season 3. Grand Benders isn’t the first TV series to shoot in and around the seaside town. Here are five more reality and docu-soaps that have been shot in Playa del Carmen.
1. The Real Housewives of Vancouver. This Canadian take on this American TV hit featured a couple of days south of the border. The wealthy Canadian divas spent a few episodes away from Vancouver’s typically mild weather and Pacific Ocean to hit the beach at Playa del Carmen.
2. The Amazing Race. Not only has The Amazing Race featured contestants from this part of Mexico in the very first season, Latin America got its own Amazing Race in 2009. As teams darted around Latin America in the show’s five seasons, they made sure to detour through the Mayan Riviera and Playa del Carmen.
3. The Celebrity Mole. Participants in the fourth season of The Celebrity Mole stayed in Playa del Carmen and the surrounding area while they filmed. Dennis Rodman successfully beat out the plant to walk away with the $220,000 prize.
4. Geordie Shore. This British reality show started as a spinoff of the popular Jersey Shore. The show left the UK in the third season for Mexico, where the cast visited the party vibes of Playa del Carmen while livin’ la vida loca.
5. House Hunters International. The popular American TV series went worldwide for its second season, looking at homes across the world. That included a stop in Playa del Carmen. While some see the beauty and tranquility as a perfect getaway, some don’t want that feeling to go away.