Top Tips for Getting a Great Tan
It’s the peak of summer now, and that means one thing: it’s time to get serious about turning that tan into a golden glow. When most people think of toasting a bit in the sun, they immediately think “skin cancer!” But you can tan safely, if you know what you’re doing. Here’s our top tips for getting a great tan.
8. Exfoliate. For a few days before you hit the beach, exfoliate to get break down the dead skin and oils. That way there’s nothing between your fresh skin and the suns rays.
7. Wear sunscreen. Unless you want to look like a lobster or look like leather when you’re 50, you have to keep your skin protected. The higher the SPF just means the more evenly you’ll soak up the sun, cancer-free.
6. Re-apply sunscreen if you go in the water. Even the most waterproof brands will wear off after a while.
5. Don’t use tanning oils. It’s like basting yourself and cooking your skin. Tanning cream is a better option, just don’t overdo it or you’ll look like Tan Mom.
4. Build a base. You can go to a tanning salon to get a good base before you spend your afternoon in the sun. The colour will last longer. But still wear sunblock. Tanning beds can roast you just as badly as the sun.
3. Be patient. A good tan takes time. If you want to get tanned all in one go, you’ll either burn or get sunstroke.
2. Adjust your clothes. Tan lines scream “no man’s land.” Keep moving your straps and swimwear to make sure there isn’t a solid line between tan and no tan. Or wear a swimsuit thin enough for the sun to get through.
1. Once you’ve got a nice glow, apply moisturizer once or twice a day. That will keep your tan lasting once you’ve left the beach behind.